New interview online with Irrelevant
OUT NOW !
Next release is Compa’s stunning double A side record
The atmosphere’s in Compa’s production have hooked me in…you’ll really notice this in the A side, Kalindi which is a beatless beautiful intro-tune.
Antact totally delivers for the dance with it’s pushing breaks and dark moody tones. Let us not forget the sub either.
Release date 15 April 2013
on 180g vinyl and digital
Here’s some reviews from other peeps about the record :
(click images to jump to reviews)
Compa kicks off a string of spring releases with this beguiling double-A for Kokeshi. It leads with ‘Kalindi’, a beatless piece of ambient drone that floats translucently, like a ghost. ‘Antact’ gets back to business, showcasing Compa’s signature style: boulder-heavy kick drums, end-of-days atmospherics, mangled melodies and whip-lash cracks of bass. A throbbing, techno-y pulse runs throughout, making it something of an exercise in future dub.
Super dark vibes comin’ from Compa on this one. A majority of what I’ve been listening to lately has been minimal dubstep, it can get semi-repetitive due to the slight similarity in percussion, yet Compa always brings something new to the scene. Antact has his classic gritty sound but also brings in a upbeat drum sequence that’ll definitely get your head bobbing. Really hope this one gets a digital release, but will for sure be forthcoming on vinyl soon. Keep your eyes peeled for this one.
We Are Lucid
OK let’s get the boring stuff out of the way. If your reading this and haven’t heard of Compa you have clearly been sleeping under a rock. With his rise to prominence well noted I wont start this review by covering old ground. Casting an eye over his ever increasing back catalogue one thing is clear, Compa is no one trick pony. Each release offers an insight into his own distinct style, or sound if you will. He is clearly on a roll with his productions and this release on Kokeshi marks the start of whats to come from him in 2013.
I would argue that this could be seen as quite a brave release both from the artist and the label. Having your lead track (Kalindi) on a 2 track 12″ as an ambient number is pretty ballsy. To be honest it seem’s like a bit of a no brainer that Compa would of made a tune like this as in generally his tracks have a really good atmospheric texture to them and he capture the timbre of the “dubstep” sound brilliantly. The track drifts through from start to finish carrying the listener on a journey into deep space. This is sci-fi music at its best and would be really fitting on something like Duncan Jones’ “Moon” my only criticism is that the track is to short and I could of easily enjoyed it for another 3 or 4 minutes. Not a bad thing by any means and this is a sure fire tune that is going to get rinsed opening sets and mixes across the land.
On the flip we have Antact. We are back in more familiar Compa territory now but something is different. From the opening crash to the echos of the first drop this tune sucks you in. It has a much more mature feel about it, stylistically and compositionally. The distorted melody and stabs are super catchy and the driving rhythm will really set a dance floor alight and it is this aesthetic in the track that is really setting him apart from the crowd. This isn’t dungeon and this isn’t some attempt to hark back to the olden days. This is future music from a producer who is clearly pushing the boundaries of 140 dubstep showing that the only formality is the tempo and nothing more.
This is another fantastic release in the ever building Kokeshi catalogue and if you haven’t check anything from them before this I highly recommend you do!
MORE REVIEWS / NEWS :
You can now buy Kokeshi items on Society 6.
Pillows, Iphone skins, T’s , bags etc!
go for it!
click image to jump to itunes
or DL …..
We’re pleased to announce signing the lovely duo Kotkee
Expect an EP the first part of 2013 and more to follow
check out the amazing cover they did of the XX
More to follow
Thanks to all who made 2012 our best year ever for events!
We’ll be back with even more in 2013 and lots more releases includling
Irrrelevant’s follow up album, Widow, a new duo (see above post) and more!
We can’t wait !
After a sold out event in Geneva a year ago..it’s great to be back for a KK event in Switzerland.
FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE
thanks to Tomas for playing Irrelevant and Lung on the latest show ..
Click image to jump to their site..
1. Dam Mantle – Canterbury Pt.1 (Notown)
2. José James – It’s All Over Your Body (Oddisee Remix) (Blue Note)
3. Robert Glasper Experiment – Letter to Hermione featuring Bilal (Robert Glasper and Jewels Remix featuring Black Milk) (Blue Note)
4. Lapalux – Quartz (Brainfeeder)
5. L’Impératrice – Le Baron Rouge (Cracki Records)
6. Pyramid Blue – Rio Níger (Lovemonk)
7. Chico Mann – El Paragua (2010 Edit) (Soundway)
8. Captain Planet – Bokazo (Bastard Jazz)
9. MonkeyRobot – Brick Stomach (Bastard Jazz)
10. Mark de Clive-Lowe – Get Started feat. Omar (Full Crate Remix) (True Thoughts)
11. Tatham,Mensah,Lord & Ranks – Mr Pickles (dance mix) (2000 Black)
12. Monokle – Glow (Ki)
13. Hundred Waters – Thistle (OWSLA)
14. OL – Combination (Error Broadcast)
15. Irrelevant – Adore (Kokeshi))
16. FaltyDL – Straight & Arrow (Four Tet Remix) Straight & Arrow (Ninja Tune)
17. Tom Trago – Rise Up (Rush Hour)
18. My Panda Shall Fly & Will Ward – British princess (XVI)
19. DrumTalk – Petro (SOundway)
20. Jack Dixon – FindShelter_(Hotflush)
21. Jem Atkins – Swing Time (Arthouse)
22. U – Eah (ManMake)
23. Deepchild – The One I Used To Call Home (Thoughtless)
24. Submotion Orchestra – Blindspot (Maribou State Remix) (promo)
25. Lung – Afterlife (Kokeshi)
Fabric on Friday was amazers. Thanks to all who came out. Also shouts to Kathy and Flighty
for my suprise b day cupcakes !
click image to jump to interview and MIX
there’s some new Irrelevant bits on there, Widow..and much more.
If you’d like to win some Kokeshi goodies go to the Fabric site HERE
Kompilation Album Launch at Fabric
Our 3rd event at Fabric and it’s time to celebrate !
The first time we’ve had this particular lineup, should be a good one
Another Kompilation track getting some love..thanks!
Bulb’s track ‘Can’t Get Enough’ getting blogger love on Paper Planes
click image to go to their tumblr or scroll down to listen !
The Kompilation album sampler is out now with custom clear plastic sleeves and purple vinyl!
Awesome collage art by Curs3s from Brighton.
here are some links on where to buy ..*NOTE THIS IS VINYL ONLY — no digital ***
here you go!
1. Elite Gymnastics – Here in Heaven 4 & 5 (CFCF remix)
2. Inc.- Heart Crimes
3. Evy Jane – Saysohttp://iheartkokeshi.com/?p=911&preview=true
4. Neon Cloud – square
5. Ghost Drumm – Make Me Believe
6. Irrelevant – Adore
7. Irrelevant – Epitaph
8. Compa – ???
9. DJ Madd feat Lady Maroo – Deeply
10.Widow – Love Don’t
11. Compa – Kormaak
12. Amit & Rani – Stay With Me
13. DJ Madd – Portal
14. Widow – Ride
15. Kryptic Minds – Talisman
16. Calibre – Feeling Normal
17. Grumb – With You
18. Sweetheart of Kairi – an Intro
19. Gavin Blane – Lucid
20.Evy Jane – Ohso
21. Nils Frahm – Stare (Max Cooper Remix)
22. Alley Cat – Don’t Edit Me (beatless vip)
23. Elite Gymnastics – HTDW cover
24. Clams Casino – Real Sh*t from a Real N** -
there is an ASC track in here somewhere too
going into production today, this will be pressed on purple coloured vinyl, custom sleeves
made on rigid clear plastic to be revealed later…
artwork by Kieron Cropper check him here